Friday, December 22, 2006

A Wet Drippy Day!

Whew..

The weather is not going to cooperate for our last minute Christmas shopping. I started this week off with a bang by hitting the post office on Monday. Afterwards I had a great time at our Mom's Night Out. It's quite nice to just sit with other moms and chat!

We planned to go shopping on Tuesday.. that didn't work out. On Wednesday we figured we'd go, but Jim had to work late. Yesterday, same story. So today the hope is he will get done early so we can run some errands. The children receive $6 to spend on siblings/parents at the Dollar Tree. They've really enjoyed this tradition and they're anxious to go!

Afterwards we get to hit the grocery store. I teased Jim earlier this week that nobody would run out of a ham. I'm hoping that's still true as we go tonight! Maybe we could be creative and arrange some bacon? ;-) Our Christmas Eve dinner is pretty simple: Ham, augratin potatoes, green bean casserole, and alternating between stuffing or a layered salad. I think the stuffing will win. The children want ice cream cake for dessert:

LAYERED ICE CREAM CAKE
24 Ice cream sandwiches8 oz. Cool Whip™
1 Hershey’s™ chocolate syrup bottle
1 Smuckers™ caramel syrup bottle
2 king size Butterfinger™ candy bars chopped up
1st layer -12 ice cream sandwiches
2nd – half of whipped cream
3rd - half of Butterfinger™ bars, Squeeze 1/2 of caramel &chocolate over that.
4th - rest of ice cream sandwiches
5th – Cool Whip™
6th - rest of Butterfinger™, caramel & chocolate.

I doubt seriously if the children will ever sleep after eating that, even if it is an early meal. Our Christmas Eve tradition is to go see the lights and have milkshakes from Sonic. Jim claims the sugar will burn off and leave them tired. We'll see! He always wakes up before everyone else on Christmas morning.

Our traditional Christmas morning, well afternoon, meal is omelettes made by Daddy. Yum! They're huge and its rare that someone finishes one. He stuffs them with ham, cheese, veggies, and more. Of course the toaster has died - never buy a $3 toaster - so we may need to replace that.

And my pregnancy brain oops for the week... we spent last night hunting two small toys. I finally gave up and today I checked the website I ordered from. They're due to arrive today - oops! :)

Finally, if it was possible to harness the energy/excitement from one 6yo boy waiting for Christmas, I'm convinced we could power our house for a year. He's beside himself with all of the preparations!

Trouble and perplexity drive us to prayer, and prayer driveth away trouble and perplexity. - Philipp Melanchton

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Bridget, I see you've already found some new things to put on your blog with the tags on the left side! And don't be so sure about that ham . . . I went grocery shopping last night, and had my choice of prime rib--two that were two small, and the other three cost $1 more per pound, since they had spices rubbed on them. But hey, at least I bought one, it was worth NOT going out again!

Debbie said...

Bridget! So glad you moved to Blogger. With my slow dial-up, it was hard for me to view your other blog some days!

I've added you to my list! :-)