Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Back from Florida...

That.. was the focus of my Florida trip. Pregnancy, birth, and helping women to have the birth they desire. It was a wonderful trip. Some are aware that I was going, others I didn't tell because I was super busy in the time leading up to the conference.

Many know our last birth was a waterbirth at home. Others know that I'm a huge fan of natural childbirth done in a calm, easy, and comfortable way.. which is possible. The method I've used successfully with some of the births is HypnoBirthing (The Mongan Method). HypnoBirthing allows a woman to use the power of her mind, through self-hypnosis, to control her body. Basically.. she learns how to relax, release fear, and let her body work as it was created to do so.

I am SO excited to be able to teach this to other women. Too often women say things like..

"I hope the doctor lets me.."
"Maybe things will be different this time.."
"Everyone says it'll be the worst pain.."


And so on. We've been taught, by our culture, that birth has to be this agonizing experience. The expectations we've built up have created our experiences and birth does not have to be that way. We choose. But, it's not as easy as saying "I want.." we also need the tools to make that happen.

It's crazy to me that women have surrended all of their birthing power to others. It's not right. Not at all. One hospital that I heard of doesn't let women leave their beds after their membranes has released (water breaks). How is this practical in any way? Do we think our ancestors didn't walk around during that time? Why is it safe for women in some hospitals but not others? And why do we put up with insane regulations and play "good patient"? Why is fear the major focus on a time that should be about joy?

I want something better, not only for -myself-, but also for my daughters.. and future grand daughters, daughters-in-law, neices, and so on.. We deserve better. Birth is natural. It's neither an illness or reason for fear. It is a time of joy and eagerly welcoming a new life into our family. It creates families.

I also saw the best button. It read..

Please, only happy birth stories, my baby is listening.


What a great way to bless women! Fill them with positives instead of negatives. Let's stop making others believe that birth has to be something it is not.

When the website is up and running, I'll be sure to pass it along. For now, here is a great video from Dateline that discusses hypnosis during childbirth. It isn't the same as HypnoBirthing, but the idea is similar.

Peace... it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.


I'll catch up on other things in a bit. We have soccer pictures to post and so on. :)

No comments: