Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas!



Even though our Savior was probably born in the spring (during the Feast of Tabernacles). I feel it is nice to keep the Christmas tradition. We do not celebrate Santa Claus, just like we do not celebrate the Easter Bunny, but we do enjoy all of the wonderful things that this season brings.

Yesterday, I took Noah shopping for James. He pulled his name out of the oven mitt (we didn't have a hat handy!) and that was his sibling to shop for this year. I decided to skip Walmart and visit the small general store in town. I rarely take Noah out alone, well.. I can't remember the last time I took him somewhere without a sibling. We chatted the whole way into town and I marvelled over some of his words that are definitely quirky due to translators in the family. Everyone in the family knows that "TeeTas" are pirates in Noah-speak and none of us bother to change it. (I know a secret.. all too soon they'll be pirates and I'll miss hearing tee-ta! Charlotte used to refer to pepperoni as mokey and that hasn't happened in at least ten years). He insisted upon getting out of the truck without help, but tucked his hand into mine as we crossed the parking lot.

At that moment, all I could think was "Thank you, God, for allowing me to slow down enough to appreciate this." The wind was a little chilly, people were walking past with packages, the town is decorated, and there I was... blessed enough to have this little child's hand resting so trustingly in mine.

So this year, I look back on last year. My mother's heart was troubled because our Christmas Eve tradition of light-gazing and milkshake drinking was impossible. We had one vehicle and it didn't seat everyone. We all agreed that our Queen was much better than milkshakes and lights. A baby outweighs just about anything else. I knew that in a few months we would hopefully have a van. I also felt blessed that we'd been able to spend time practicing hospitality because our options for going out were so limited. This year, we get to take Naomi out for her very first Christmas Eve lights/milkshake routine. The children are excited for her. And, I love that as well... the spirit between the six of them is fantastic.

Well, enough rambling. Here's my Christmas "Letter" which I refuse to do like many others. :)

(oldest to youngest...)

Jim - He gets to do his *own* letter, we'll see if he blogs. :) Some of his highlights this year included getting pneumonia right before vacation.. then getting soaked on vacation because I put the tent up incorrectly.. and getting new laptop for Christmas. His fun project soon will be putting together the trampoline.

Bridget (me) - On a mini-midlifecrisis.. lost weight, colored my hair, got certified in HypnoBirthing, moved ever so closer to crunchy, enrolled in midwife school, working on my doula license.. and got not only a new cat, but a dog as well. I'll add the canary next year.

Charlotte (child #1, 13 yrs old) - Still writing (a lot), still talking (a lot), still playing violin (ditto).. witty and charming, sometimes unbelievably sharp, and getting taller every single day. Her hair is turning more red and she's eagerly looking forward to summer camp this year at The Wilds.

Bethany (child #2, 10 yrs old - almost 11) - Discovered a love for baking which makes her siblings very proud of her. Very proud. She even treated Jim's coworkers to a few batches of biscotti. Just as clever as her big sister, her wit often shows up at unexpected times. Her soft heart often makes the others turn towards her for comfort.

James (child #3, 8 yrs old) - He keeps growing. What is this all about? Practical and strong, he's going to be quite a man someday. He could easily get by with two outfits.. one if I'd let him sit in a towel while his clothes were washed.. he figured out how to use the saw and cut firewood. He likes the book Good and Evil (www.nogreaterjoy.org) and comes up with good questions. He still has no patience for handwriting.. or sitting still..

Joseph (child #4, 5yrs old) - How intelligent is this guy and so sensitive. He keeps track of others and has a strong sense of right and wrong. He'd make a great judge one day. His wavy hair is usually in his large brown eyes and his only goal is to avoid a haircut. He will sit and do "school" for hours if given the chance. He still isn't sure if he's right or left-handed. He takes after his Pap-pap (for whom he is named).

Noah (child #5, 3 yrs old) - He got a haircut which seriously injured the spirit of myself and his sisters. It's growing back nicely. I can't imagine my Noah with short (or straight) hair for long. He's so torn between being big (like his brothers, he always claims that he's five) or being a baby like his little sister. He hits the ground running in the morning and rarely stops. He has figured out he can drag Naomi into some good mischief. Currently we're calling them the "Ns".

Naomi (child #6, 20 months) - Still as precious as ever, but ooooh she's SO spoiled. (Just the way we like 'em! - as the kids would chime in). She knows a few baby signs and has cutesy little curls starting in her hair. She likes to flash a Great Big Smile if she thinks she's in trouble. She still insists upon being held a lot, it's a good thing she has lots of siblings. This child wasn't designed for a one-child family.

There.. that's us for this year. We've made academic progress which is too boring to blog over. We're plotting fun things for the spring. But, most of all, we're just enjoying a relaxed life and loving each other. In the end, that's what's important.. Love.

(I'll probably not blog again til Christmas Day. The camera is, unfortunately, not working right so I'm not sure how many photos we will have to share..)

1 comment:

Paula said...

And a Merry Christmas to you too! I liked what you said about slowing down and enjoying your short time alone with Noah. I'm hoping to start implementing parent/child dates this coming year...we'll see how it goes (gotta get those husband wife dates going first!)h