Monday, April 6, 2009

Feet, Bacon and Old-fashioned thermometers

(Got feet? This was one of the 'failed' pictures from our "lets get a group picture!" adventure. I'm not sure if Jim was aiming for feet? I did not crop it. :) For the record, I am barefoot as well, but they're mainly hidden behind the boy in front of me. And um.. yes, Joseph's pants are on backwards. Don't ask. I don't know how he manages it! Naomi is being held so her feet are not in this picture. Bethany was the one to have sense and wear shoes.)

Thermometers: I looked all over the grocery store for a thermometer. When I found them, I discovered they ONLY sell digital. I wonder if old-fashioned ones are off the market now due to mercury? Although the new lightbulbs have mercury in them.. that has been a hot-button issue on the MOMYS list! :) We have a nice thermometer for the humans in the house, I was seeking an old-fashioned one for the incubator. I'll check the pet store soon to see what they might have available.

Bacon: The ducklings brought up a conversation about various animals and the meat they provide. For the most part, we eat a vegetarian diet here, although it's almost by accident for the bulk of the family. I find that I feel best when I follow a vegan (no dairy/meat) diet for myself and we have a lot of tasty vegetarian recipes (chili, burritoes, waffles, penne & sauces, etc) Anyway, except for eggs, we rarely have meat here. I'm hoping our ducklings are a success because just a half dozen would easily keep us supplied in the eggs that we need. After discussing ducks, James announced that he wants to raise a pig. I was a little surprised by this and asked why. His simple response was... "Bacon". It had all of us laughing. He did lament on the price of bacon and such, which made me realize that maybe I talk about grocery prices a bit TOO much? hehe. When asked how much he thinks bacon costs he said, "$50." :) Silly guy. I confess, I usually don't buy bacon because I know it isn't very healthy, but it's also messy and such to make... I figure our breakfast trip to Ryan's once a year (after camping) is enough bacon! But..... forseeing decades down the road when James may say, "I had so many brothers and sisters that I never had bacon.." I decided to remedy it. Guess what's for breakfast tomorrow?

The boys have been busy making a fort and Bethany took pictures of it. We're going to try to get them up tomorrow. The phone actually sync'd the other day, so maybe we'll get lucky and I can post a video as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Old Fashioned" Thermometers do still exist, but it seems that they are slowly being phased out and being replaced by red-liquid thermometers or blue alcohol thermometers. For arguments sake, they look and feel just like an "old fashion" thermometer, but are safer for the environment.

With that said, their are companies that sell mercury and liquid and alcohol thermometers that are priced way down due to the popularity of the digital thermometers.

Check out http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/category/Temperature

Marsha said...

Have you tried turkey bacon? Believe me, when John suggested it about a year ago I didn't want to. But it really is good when recooked so it's a little crispy.

Jo Abair said...

Check the feedstore, people make homemade incubators and get thermometers there. I get most things I need in life at a feed store. If they dont sell it there, then its food (for a human) and I have to go to the market-which is saturday only. Its always good to CHECK at the feedstore before you hit up any other stores because the feed store smells good and the old things in it are neat.