Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Dear Jane - New Year's Day

Our family is going through a round of colds and yuck. We've all been left a little crabby, so we've spent New Year's Day trying to pass time in a nice manner. Daddy has overloaded on football, Mommy worked on quilting (while listening to talk radio), and the children enjoyed a day of freedom.
Here is my Dear Jane progress so far:
This block was SUCH a trial. I starte on it yesterday, but grew tired of some of the flubs. I resumed it today and finished it.. after ripping out numerous seams. Whew. I think this isn't a block to try while under the weather. It is
I-12 Fred's Square Fair This block was my reward for finishing up with Fred! It was very simple and I like these colors together. It is J4 Adelaine's Apron Strings.

A few of these colors ar similar, but they will not be next to each other in the quilt. This combo looks much prettier in person. This one is L7 Town Square This block gave me more fits than Fred's Square Fair, but I didn't do as much ripping out. I just stared at it.. a lot. I still didn't get it quite right (shh! don't tell). I'll probably redo this one.. or just assume nobody will know the flub except for me. (For the Dear Jane ladies, I'm sure someone notices the problem. I'm not sure if the PP'ing pattern is off or if I assembled it incorrectly. Today was too chaotic for me to really dig into it).
It is: G2 Mohawk's Trail


F3 Snowball:



H13 Farm Fields (I couldn't resist the farm fabric):




Total for 1/1/08: 16 blocks. Goal for this week: 25 blocks. (Want to hit a certain level for the Dear Jane mailing list!).
Here are the levels:
Silver--25
Gold--50
Diamond--75
Jubilee--100
Platinum --130
Wonder Workers --all 169 blocks completed
Miracle Workers --all block and all triangles completed
Goddess-- Dear Jane quilt finished.
Admittedly, my progress will slow as I hit the intermediate/advanced blocks, plus the applique will greatly slooow me down. I'm also starting the Women of the Bible quilt next week (1 block per week) along with the Bible study. Oh.. and school, yeah.. that starts next week too! Although I can run the sewing machine while discussing math problems. :)

6 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

What in the world do you do with that adorable baby while you're getting all this done?!!! I am so not doing things right.LOL

Your quilt blocks are great! I haven't quilted in a while but I do love it.

bridget said...

Wellll.. the baby naps. :) When she doesn't nap (and isn't attached to *ME*) she is either being held by someone, in the exersaucer (near someone), in the amby bouncer, or playing (rarely!) on the floor. She isn't crawling yet, so that greatly helps the sewing process.

Oh, the other great thing.. she will also sit in the Bumbo near the sewing machine and chat happily. Honestly, the cats are more of a pain than the baby when it comes to sewing. Bethany's cat, Peppermint, wants to chew the threads and unthread the machine!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Bridget:

You're doing great! I like the bright colours in your blocks. I just finished another applique block tonight :-). My friend Susan taught us the back basting method and do I love that! I just learned to applique in the last year and must say, it's addictive too...just jump right in and try it. If you have a local quilt shop and can take a class, that's always good too.

Jacqui in Canada
P.S. I'm busy with the Psalms quilt and contemplating the WOTB, but not sure if I'll start in January!

Debbie said...

Great progress, Bridget.

I have to smile at some of the names....Mohawk Trail is the main trail (road) over the mountains from North Adams, MA to Greenfield, MA. It is a very precarious route with names like Dead Man's Curve and Hairpin Turn.

I am so enjoying your working on this quilt as it brings back lots of memories for me.

Lisa in Jax said...

Ack! Your baby SLEEPS? Now I see the issue.LOL Sophia is into everything right now. I can't wait until she's walking. At least then she won't be crumb picking on the floor as much.lol

I think it's awesome that you are able to do so much.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Bridget - the blocks are all gorgeous I LOVE the farm one! Well there are a couple of others I really loved too...but I don't remember their names. ::snort::

You go! Praying you'll get a new vehicle soon.