Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Making Time For Jane

I did name the quilt, at least I think I'm sticking with this name.

Many times when I do things I hear from others "Oh, I'd never have time for that.." It can come in response to a book I read, afghan I finished, having six children, camping, homeschooling, natural childbirth, baking bread, wanting to grind grain, and so on. When I went to school fulltime the fall before last (5 classes) I heard it even more. lol. I did tell everyone the trick is to ditch the television and phone. I answer email, but I rarely get on the phone for long conversations anymore. I think I talk to my Dad the most because he doesn't type a lot!

I hear it a *lot* about sewing and quilting too.. or I hear "If I had time.."

Well, eventually a person has to make time for whatever they'd like to do -- especially if that activity might be more of blessing later on. For me, my quilting will be more profitable than watching a television show. I used to love The Amazing Race and was excited about watching it this year -- I haven't seen a single episode. The last television show I watched was America's Test Kitchen (PBS cooking show) because Naomi was nursing. In 50 years my quilt(s) will still be around, but nobody will care who I wanted to win TAR. lol. Also, it gives me a chance to either chat with the various children that wander past.. or listen to talk radio/sermons on my ipod while stitching.

The quilting I do with friends allows me to fellowship in a way that has been lost to many. Sitting around a quilting frame, discussing family and life, is much different than a five minute conversation with a mom during softball season. Life is slower, the talk is more in depth, and the encouragement is sincere.

So, without guilt, I'm "Making Time For Jane". I'm not waiting for the kids to grow up, the puppies to find homes, for the money for the perfect fabrics, for my quilting skills to increase, for me to lose weight, for the house to be spotless, or anything else. I'm doing it now -- even though I'm a busy mom of a half dozen blessings and praying for more. :)

No comments: