Sunday, April 15, 2007

Naomi is here!

(for some reason the pics look a little blurred thru blogger, I'll try to post better ones later on, just want to get a few up now for those who have been waiting!)
Naomi Kiersten arrived on 4/13 at 5:16pm. She was 7lbs10oz and 18" long - she has tiny little feet and looks like a gorgeous baby doll. :) For those who have called/emailed.. it'll probably be a bit before I reply, trying to use as much of this week as possible to just relax and recover while Jim is home. If you need to reach us, call Jim's number instead of mine.














For those interested in the long birth story, read on..






Many of you know we planned a homebirth and needed to make it to 37 weeks. On Friday, Noami's birthday, we hit an amazing 39 weeks - a real blessing! The day before we had a midwife visit and did ask to have dilation checked. I was a little concerned because I hadn't been feeling much prelabor activity. We found out I was 3cm and about 50-70% effaced, which was good news.






At 5am my water broke and I woke Jim up to let him know it was time to get things ready. He hopped into gear with filling the pool (took about an hour or so, less than we expected) and boiling hot water to add once our water tank was done. The pool holds about 125 gallons. We called the midwife and she said for us to call back after contractions started. We finished up some other odds and ends, waiting on the sun to come up before calling to see who could come over. Diana had to work that day til 3pm and so I was able to reach Ann instead. Jo, my other backup, offered to help if Ann needed a hand - *that* was also a huge relief, to have friends willing to be here for us. I told Ann we'd call back when things got going. We let the midwife know some mild contractions had started, but nothing major. I got soup going in the crockpot and by then the kids were awake.






I think it was around 9am when everyone showed up. Contractions basically stopped at that point. My midwife's assistant was sick, so she had a doula friend come help - this was her first homebirth experience, tho she has lots of hospital experience. She was absolutely wonderful and the kids, especially Bethany, adored her. We opted to go for a walk since walking around the house seemed to stir up some activity. A few contractions on the walk, but not a lot, we come back and midwife/doula go to get some lunch and safety pins. We did a rebozo style wrap of the tummy to try to put baby's head against the cervix. Also had 'homework' of using the breastpump off and on to increase the natural hormones. Well, the little pins didn't work so great (they found some at the local dry cleaner, basically said "I'm a midwife, have a client in labor, and trying to find large pins" they gave them a bunch *G*). So I was wrapped for probably 15 mins or so, but the breast pump did work. We probably did that about five times, including once after the returned. Contractions hit around 6 minutes apart. We did an exam and I was 5cm at this time.






Sooo.. off to sit in the playroom on the birth ball. We had 8 children in the house (2 11yo girls, 9yog, 7yob, 2 3yo boys, & 2 toddlers) and 5 adults. Later, Diana arrived with her 2 (7yog & baby boy) to add to the headcount :) It was SO nice! We chatted about everything and when a contraction arrived I just leaned against Jim (who is an A+ labor helper!!!!) and breathed through it. The children usually quieted down and waited.. then back to chatting. At this point contractions were generally coming in pairs. I could tell they were working, but it wasn't overwhelming. Noah was playing tag through the playroom and the mood was very upbeat. Around the time Diana arrived we moved into the bedroom with the midwife. I sat on the edge of the bed, contractions coming 2-3 at a time, and worked verbally with Jim while the midwife applied pressure on my back. I was so thankful that they were not that challenging. I guess during this time Bethany was having a long discussion with the doula about birth balls and such. It was funny. She did come in with us at some point and we started talking about the pool.






I felt kinda silly, like I was still in early labor and didn't want to spend hours and hours in the pool. Midwife assured us that anytime after 5cm is definitely a great time for the pool. My other concern was that I couldn't lean against Jim or look up into his eyes as easily. We were using a combo of scripture, prayer, hypnobirthing, and www.earthmamaangelbaby.com (that CD was playing). Plus, someone had told me looking up is good during ctx and they were right! So, into the pool I went, changing into a simple shirt and losing my other clothes. I opted to labor in my regular stuff earlier, being in my nightgown felt waaaay too hospitalish to me.






The water was very nice. My arms just floated and we continued to chat in between contractions. I could feel some trembling in my legs and my teeth chattered a bit, this is a definite transition sign for me.. but I had NONE of the overwhelming transition feelings so it wasn't difficult at all. A few contractions I felt baby move down and mentioned it. Midwife tried listening during one contraction and that was the only one that seemed like way too much. I think it was just the extra activity. Everyone was very in tune to what I asked and that kept me in control and at peace. Jim poured water over my shoulders and during a few my midwife kept eye contact with me so I'd remember to breath. My prayer during this labor was to never feel out of control or attacked. Even at this time I prayed a sincere thank you to God for such a gentle labor and for the peace we experienced. His promises to us are SO good. I'd been reading the Supernatural Childbirth book throughout my pregnancy. We also had scripture that stayed with me so I could call on His word for peace.

Finally, without any of the 'drama' of transition, I realized baby was coming. At that point I know I said "I need help" and floated a bit more in the pool. I have no clue as to what everyone else did, but the doula reminded me to keep vocalizing, to let them hear me working. (I did find out later the kids heard nothing and hadn't even realized when baby was born!). I stared in her eyes, held her hand, leaned against Jim and was surprised when the head was born. I was told I could push and almost immediately Naomi was there on my chest with a towel draped on top. I was so surprised! I even told them I couldn't believe I had the baby without going through transition.. while she was being born that thought went through my head too. Transition is generally my feared stage because I hate feeling overwhelmed or out of control. Waterbirth is most definitely the way to go.

A while after she was born Jim took a peek to see what we had.. said he had to look twice he was so convinced baby was a boy. hehe. Everyone is thrilled with a sister and now we're even with 3 girls and 3 boys. I especially love being here with my family. We got tucked all into bed and everything was cleaned up and done by midwife & doula. Naomi checked out to be around 39 weeks (on the newborn exam). Her apgars were 7 & 8. Basically she wasn't interested in crying, and still doesn't, so took a while to turn pink. Our midwife said she's the most mellow baby she has ever seen. I'm so thrilled that her birth experience was calm and peaceful for *her* as well as me.







18 comments:

Diann said...

She is absolutely beautiful and your story is great! Congratulations and enjoy your new little blessing.

Diann from SHS

berrypatch said...

What an absolutely adorable little girl. Congrats on your peaceful & calm labor too, Bridget. What a wonderful story that you shared....
Lisa in ME (SHS)

Debbie said...

Beautiful baby and such a wonderful birthing story. What a blessing for you all.

Yvonne Ferlita said...

She is adorable...just beautiful! Congratulations, Bridget and family! ~Yvonne

Aimee said...

i had a waterbirth for the first time last year with my 4th...would never do it any other way again!!
Congratulations!!!

all in the family said...

Yeah! Congratulations! We were worried about you and thankful she is here. She is absolutely beautiful and does look like a baby doll.

Beth in GA (SHS)

Crystal said...

Sooo beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing God's blessing with us!!
Crystal

US said...

I happy that things went so well for you. Welcome, Naomi!

Linda said...

What an awesome story, Bridget! I'm glad it went so well for you. I also loved my home birth and would have more that way (if I was going to have any more! I'm way too old! :-)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Congrast. She's gorgeous. I love her name too. It was fun reading your birth story.

Unknown said...

Bridget, what a beautiful birth story and a gorgeous little girl! Congratulations! I'm so glad she is here.

I'm More Than a Number said...

Wow, what a great birth experience. Naomi is so gorgeous, congratulations! Relax and enjoy:)


Hugs,
Jen in Az.

jennifer said...

What a wonderful story! Naomi is absolutely beautiful!

jen in michigan from SHS

Phyllis said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations! I agree that home water births are wonderful. :-) I would have gone crazy with that many people there, though. To each his own. :-)

Dusti said...

Bridget,
I am SO happy for your family! Praise the Lord for blessing you with a precious baby girl after 4 stinky boys! j/k. Im sure the girls are just thrilled. Rejoicing with your family!,
Dusti

Unknown said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations on Naomi!! I have to pay for my babies and I can't have a homebirth--no midwife will attend around here b/c I have gest. diabetes and I had to have an emergency c with my little 7 month old :(. I would love to have your birth experience. You are very blessed!

Unknown said...

I said it on MMs but wanted to say here... How happy I am for you. She is beautiful, and what a wonderful sounding birth experience! Congrats!!!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I've never even really paid much attention to water births before. Sounds GREAT to me!