Tuesday, June 19, 2007

God is Good


(Picture has nothing to do with the post, I simply wanted to add it :)

Not a lot of people know the crazy saga that is going on with us right now. I'm guessing only my Dad knows the whole insane story. We're currently playing "what else can happen?" and not enjoying the game.

But, in the midst of all the crazy stuff -- vehicles dying, tractor dying, dishwasher dying, glass door breaking, property line issues resulting in the loss of our driveway, and so on.. I've noticed that its so much easier to count your woes than count your blessings. Our woes are quick to drag us down.

So, the blessings..

Jim and I are working together. In the past we would just gripe at each other.. or try to find a quick fix. We're finding solutions and, at the same time, strengthening our marriage.

While the van doesn't fit all of us (7 pass van, we have 8 people), it is reliable and runs. It stinks to be without two vehicles and to miss church, park, and so on.. but it'd be worse to have no vehicle. We're inconvenienced, but not desperate. I can handle being inconvenienced.

The french doors do look nicer than the sliding glass doors, although the cats are still confused about which side lets them out.

The front part of the new driveway is nice because they paved it. It needs gravel, but we can work around that for now (again, inconvenience, but not desperate. lol.)

Family dinners.. we've been able to eat together and have quieter evenings now that softball and other things are over. That is a blessing. Its so nice to sit with our children and just relax.

Jim studying -- he might complain that I'm posting this :), but I'm very proud of Jim and SO blessed to have a husband that is a believer. I love knowing I can ask him about a certain piece of scripture and he'll research it til he knows.. and explain it until I know. I'm also blessed with knowing I get to spend eternity with my husband (and children).

Air conditioning.. I'm not sure how those southerners 'back when' managed to live here. I would have started hiking north as soon as the first summer hit! It's outrageously hot outside.

And, on that note, I'm also thankful for the military. I heard its 110 (!!!) in Iraq as the high for the past 3 weeks or so. I can't imagine being in 110 weather with all of that equipment. I realize the heat is probably the least of their concerns, but having summer hit us here really brought that home.

We're also blessed with mothers willing to let their children serve.. and not lock them up somewhere when they mention joining up (that'd be my temptation!). Noah slipped today on his blanket and went =splat= on the kitchen floor. It made my heart leap into my throat to see that.. how could I ever live through my child being in a war? All of those moms are in my prayers.

So, a babbling post for this Tuesday. The girls have a LOTR marathon going on and the boys are actively playing castle guys.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Sorry you're going through so many tough things right now, but glad you're able to see the GOOD things, too!