Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday morning ramblings..

Every sunday morning is spent the same way. Eating breakfast a "little" later so nobody is starving by 11am. Trying to wait til the last possible minute to get dressed so it minimizes the chance of messes. Wondering if everyone has shoes handy so we're not late due to a missing shoe (been there, done that TOO many times!) and so on.

We've also added in making monkey bread. What is monkey bread you ask? A very unhealthy concoction that probably shouldn't have been added to our sunday! hehe. Basically this is what I do..

  • Spray two loaf pans with non-stick spray
  • Cut of refridgerator tube biscuits (like Pillsbury, the kind that POPS! when you open it). Each should be cut into 1/4ths.
  • Melt 1/2c. butter and dredge the biscuit pieces through butter
  • Coating: 1c sugar, 1 TB cinnamon, and 1 package cook & serve butterscotch pudding all mixed together.
  • Put buttered pieces into sugar mixture, coat, and then place into loaf plan
  • I use 2 rolls of biscuits per loaf pan (this allows for leftovers instead of arguments over who ate the last bit!)
  • Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool a few minutes and flip onto a large plate. It'll be ooey and gooey. Let this cool before serving. The bread will pull apart easily.

There are a lot of other monkey bread recipes out there. I prefer this one. James picked blackberries this morning so that was the side dish for breakfast. He's been picking bowls of blackberries daily from around the yard.

Last night's dinner was a hit. I do need to find a recipe for corn bread that doesn't fall apart. We will definitely have that again. I 'cheated' on the red beans and rice. I don't like bits of tomatoes or peppers in my food and I'm not using meat. For the beans and rice I made a large pan of brown rice in my paella pan (2c brown rice, 5 c water). I added 5 cubes of vegetable boullion to the water. After that simmered for 45 minutes I tossed in a large can of kidney beans (drained/rinsed), a can of tomato paste, and then seasoned it up with red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, chili seasoning, and onion powder. That all simmered together while we finished the corn bread and green beans.

Today is a super easy taco salad.. no dessert since we have leftover carrot cake *and* I think monkey bread would count as dessert, we simply had it for breakfast instead of after dinner.

4 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

Your menu looks great! I'm going to give the beans and rice a try. We are trying to go more meatless too. It's just getting too expensive to buy meat.

Blessings,

Lisa

Cynthia said...

We're always rushing around trying to find shoes right before we leave for church, too. Unfortunately, *I* am usually the one with missing shoes (LOL).

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Our best solutuion for the missing shoes to date is....Mike made a big box like thing (like the shoe keepers in McDonalds). It sat on top of a hinged bench. We put mittens, boots, scarves in the bench....and everyone had a box for shoes. It set in our entry way and everyone put their shoes in it the minute they walked in...there were two slots....church shoes and every day shoes.

NOW it sits in our garage with weights because we don't have a spot for it....and we miss it deeply.

bridget said...

That is a clever idea De'Etta! Who knew it could be so hard to keep track of shoes? I even limit the children to around 2 pairs each.

Thanks Lisa - the beans and rice leftovers were quickly gobbled up. The kids mashed it a bit and used it as sandwich filling. lol.

Cynthia - that happens here too. The girls have gotten into the habit of finding MY shoes while they look for THEIR shoes. I'm not sure how I'm going to live child-free one day.. I've been spoiled!