Saturday, June 23, 2007

Priorities and all of that



In late honors of Father Day.. that's my Dad up above. :) Kinda funny to say my Dad's a biker because most people probably assume he's an accountant or something. lol. But, he's a biker, tattoos and all, and we love him. He's also the guy that taught me *by example, not just words* how to be an honorable person.

One day I am not going to be able to blog. Why is that you ask? Because slowly, but surely, my laptop is losing its keys. Somehow Noah has figured out a quick way to yank them off. Usually the laptop is shut, but occassionally I forget and leave it open. It drives me crazy to realize he got another one of my keys.. yet when all is said and done, I'd pick a laptop with no keys over a laptop with full keys if it means having Noah.

I'm reading A Full Quiver and thoroughly enjoying it. I wonder why so few Christians even consider the idea of normal childbearing? According to A Full Quiver the #1 reason is finances. Due to our crazy job history and changes there is one thing I've learned -- people tend to spend as much as they make. If you make $35K you live that way, if you make $65K you live that way. Both groups tend to feel broke or 'on the brink' most of the time. Yet, there are an awful lot of large families (6+ kids) living on low salaries and making it work. While there are oodles of 2 kid families living on two incomes and barely making ends meet. I don't think it has much to do with the paycheck or family size. The Bible tells us to trust God in this area.. but still, obviously, many do not.

In my life I have seen God provide. A simple example would be this.. For quite a while I've passed the girls hand me downs to a friend. Generally, whatever made it through her daughter would get passed back and often ebay'd to go towards more clothes. Then, I had the 3 boys in a row. The clothes would pass down, but after Noah that was it. God brought a dear family into our lives and, hurray, someone to pass on Noah's clothing to now. I know this sounds cheesy, but it gets better. I passed a lot of Noah's clothing to them, then we find friend #1 is having a boy. She is showered with boy clothes.. and then we discover friend #2 is having a boy.. and back to her they will go. Round and round.

With Naomi I figured we'd have to purchase most of her stuff. Yet, a friend came through and asked if I needed any. What a blessing! She had a summer baby so here all these 0-3 months summer clothes for Naomi. She's starting to outgrow them. I mentioned to Jim I was going to set aside some money towards other items.. that day an internet friend emails to ask if I'd like a box of things her daughter has outgrown. We're saving towards another vehicle and a few days ago an unexpected check for $90 arrived in the mail. A few months back Noah managed to lose an IRS check from my purse. The original goal was to use the money towards baby items and a 'tip' for the midwife assistant. However, it was lost and we had to wait for a replacement. God willing, the replacement should arrive before mid-July. Its not enough to buy a vehicle, not even a used falling-apart vehicle :), but it is added to the savings towards one. God knows our needs and we're relying on Him. We're also learning the valuable lesson of prioritizing and wants vs. needs. Plus, learning to be humble as we explain to our children, and friends, the situation we're currently sitting in. Y'know, it really makes you feel loved when friends kinda shrug when you mention you can't make it to activities and say "That's okay, we'll come see YOU".

Do I think everyone should have half a dozen children? No, that's not for me to say. But do I think its sad that Christian families are cutting off blessings from God? Most definitely! I also worry for my children (and future grandchildren). When even the church is saying large families are irresponsible or take up too many resources.. where will that leave my children? I do wonder how the world managed to spread that lie so quickly through almost all Christian groups. It is sad when I go out that people assume I belong to certain denominations. Many find it hard to believe that someone who is 'just a Christian' would also be quiverful or have other 'out there' ideas. Why is that? Should I only do these things if taught by a church? Is that why its often NOT being done - because the church stopped teaching it?

I have been asked what we'd do if God 'led us' to limit our family -- as A Full Quiver mentions -- why would the Lord lead us to something against His word? Where is it said in the Bible that children are a curse or to be avoided? Does that sound like God? Or.. does that sound like the whispering of another voice? Someone who would greatly benefit by Christians slowly killing off God's people by limiting family sizes?

Tonight I read part of Job to Bethany and James. For those not familiar, Job is basically about a God-fearing man that loses -everything- yet still praises God. We talked as we went.. ooh'ing over Job owning thousands of camels, sheep, and so on. Then we get to the part where the servants keep showing up with bad news. The oxen were killed, sheep were burned to a crisp, donkeys stolen, and so on. Yet, Job praises God as one who gives and takes away. Now that's a pretty big lesson. All of this 'stuff' we have could easily be taken from us. Houses burn down, vehicles die (ask me how I know!!), furniture wears out, clothing gets stained, and new gadgets get outdated. It all passes. But children - THOSE are treasures we can take to Heaven with us. Raise Godly children and what could be better? Give me the shack and beans for dinner if that's what it takes to follow God. Let others have all their goodies and toys. I want something real. I know a lot of churches treat Jesus like a self-help program. Follow him and everything will be rosey. It makes me wonder if they've ever read His words.. Jesus said, John 15:18, "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you."

So if we feel like the world loves us and we're walking hand in hand with it.. should we be suspicious and look hard at our lives? This world is not our home. We, as a family, know our lives here will be very short compared to eternity with God. Eventually there will be a new Earth and I doubt if we'll be fretting over head gaskets on vehicles. But, I'm pretty sure I will be there with my blessed family and SO thankful that other Christians introduced us to the idea of letting God plan our family. Someday I know our time of having babies will be over. I'm ever thankful to the Lord that we'll be able to reach that day without regrets.

Btw, I should say one of the saddest conversations I've had with my girls happened the other day. We were talking about my Grandmother who died last year. My sister and I spent many weekends at her house playing cards and other things, so lots of stories have "Gram" in them. Charlotte asked if she was a Christian and I told her that Gram and I discussed that just a couple of weeks before she died. We were able to pray together and I know she is one person who will be there, arms open, to welcome me when I leave this earth. Yet, the sad part came when they started asking about other family members or friends. I honestly don't know for sure who does, or does not, have a relationship with Christ, but I do pray that God will reach those that don't. It's not about following a list of rules or going to the right church. It's about loving what God loves, hating what God hates, and following Him. This life is going to pass by quickly.

Getting to heaven is not just about "being a good person". It's about going to God and admitting your sins, turning -away- from those sins, and accepting that Jesus died for you.

An interesting site I found labelled "Sayings Not Found in Scripture" like To Thine Own Self Be True and so on. http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/sayings.html

Sorry for the rambling post - these are things that just happen to be on my heart today.

4 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

I really enjoyed your post. Very good thoughts. I always wrestle with this. On one hand, I love each child that God has given me, on the other, I'm exhausted!LOL I've been taking this one child at a time.LOL

I'm More Than a Number said...

Ha, I'm like Lisa. We're taking this one child at a time. Sadly, I think my hubby is "done" so I am enjoying little Hailey as much as I possible can!

I agree with you though. I don't think God wants us to restrict our families....

Jen in Az

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. It's easy to lose eternal perspective when so many things demand our attention each day.

Dusti said...

Thanks so much for sharing your heart! As much as all the "things" can be hard to not have, Id rather follow God with all my heart and have eternal peace..

I agree with everything you said!