Monday, September 1, 2008

The curry




I have a friend that adores curries.. currys.. a curry. Hmm. Curries looks like furries which seems a tad gross. :)

Anyway, the More with Less Mennonite cookbook is also a huge fan of anything topping rice. I found the spices at Walmart and we're giving it a go this week. I had a few ask me about the recipe and I found it at www.allrecipes.com

I'm -thinking- of making it a full Indian meal with some extras added on.. I'll probably have Bethany cook it and it'll be just the curry. hehe. (She loves to cook and I love to let her!)

Here is the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-Chickpea-Curry/Detail.aspx


I'm not sure what makes it "butter". I found a spicy curry powder because we tend to like spicier food. (It might also distract Jim from the idea that it's yet another vegetarian meal ;)

Ingredients (for 4 servings, I'll be doubling it)

  • 4 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder - found a regular & a spicy
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala - walmart & BiLo carry this
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1/2 cup cream or milk - couldn't find coconut milk, using cream.
  • 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (aka garbanzo beans)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.
  2. Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. Pour in soup, cream, and chickpeas. Stir in potatoes. Simmer 5 minutes.
Pretty easy, huh? I'll post a review after we have it later this week. I'm allergic to cumin, so I don't plan to eat it... but will let you know how it goes over with the rest of the crew!

No comments: