Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Life


First, random pic.. can you guess which baby this is? (answer at the bottom) And, for the family members wondering if this is another cutesy blog pregnancy announcement.. it's not. hehe. The next pregnancy announcement will probably be something crazier - like a carrier pigeon!

Things heard in our home on Sunday mornings..

"Does he have his shoes?"
"Do you have your shoes?"
"Is that shirt on backwards?"
"No. You can't wear that." (usually towards a boy!)
"Thirty minutes to go!"
"Don't forget to eat." (breakfast is typically bagels or other simple fare)
"Have you seen my shoes?" (Mommy!)
"Have you seen my purse?" (Mommy again..)
"Where is my Bible?" (You guessed it!)
"Don't forget your Bibles."
"Where is the sippy?"

And so on. Finally, we pile into the van and we're off. Everyone has a car buddy. After they finish buckling their car buddy they buckle themselves. Bethany (the carsick one) sits with Nae (the baby always gets the second row). Charlotte sits with Noah, James sits with Joseph. When buckling is done we count off from one to six according to birth order. Bethany says "Six" for Naomi. This is somewhat of an inside joke with the family. When I've called a child by every name but theirs I fall back on.. "You! Child number three, come here please." Strangely enough, I get Joseph and Noah's names mixed the most. We used to joke that Noah's name was Jo-Noah.

We arrived at church today and were greeted by the sight of a few boys playing football on the lawn. Others in our church family were standing at the front door, chatting. We were greeted by name (and lots of hugs. We're "huggers" at church!) and in we went. Our church has a cafe area on the right and the sanctuary is on the left. The cafe has all of the classrooms off of it and each has a large window so it's easy to see inside. Jim went towards the sanctuary with a few and I went towards the cafe/classrooms to deposit the shortest two in the nursery. (Yes, I know many of our Christian friends are against nurseries. We know this church is where God wants us and we are at peace with using the nursery. Please, no tomatoes!).

Before we could get a few feet through the cafe - where many are having coffee and chatting - we end up with various church family members coming over to ask about our morning. A few loved on Nae, some of the ladies having heard about her run-in with fire ants.. (her little foot looks a LOT better). What a blessing to be loved. I think so many are missing this in our world right now. More hugs and into the nursery we go. Adults, who don't have little kids at all, poke their head into the nursery to greet the littles. (The nursery directly opens into the cafe area, and, like i said it has a huge window). More of ... "How are you this morning?" and "Hey, Noah buddy, you're looking handsome today!"

The littles are dropped off and we go towards the sanctuary area. There are still groups of people talking in the hall, cafe, and outside are still folks talking and football is going on. More greetings, more hugs, and into the sanctuary where people are busy fellowshipping. I find where Jim is sitting with three of the kids (Bethany, James, and Joseph). Charlotte sits in the front row where the youth group has been "challenged" to sit. At first I had qualms about this.. again, I know many who would tsk-tsk over our daughter not sitting with the family. But you know what, she takes the most amazing notes during service and this is a chance for her to "own" her faith. Music starts.. and people reluctantly stop chatting and start finding their places..

During worship.. some clap, some raise hands, some sing, a few dance in place, and others just stand. A few say "Amen!" during prayer time and others quietly bow their heads. We have people in dresses, headcoverings, flipflops, and sweats. Praise God for that. Let the guy that slept in his clothes the night before and hasn't showered in a week come into my church.. let God use us to show him the love of Christ. When our kids were much younger, I remember skipping church because I couldn't find nice shoes for Charlotte. Her "good shoes" broke and I didn't have any others. I sometimes wonder how many others skip church because they feel their Sunday best isn't good enough?

After service starts, we always have stragglers that come in. They're not met with glares. They don't sneak through the door like naughty children either. They're hugged, loved, and made to realize that everyone is happy they're -there- even if late. :) After service it's a lot like before service. Kids are skateboarding outside, a basketball game might start in the parking lot, other kiddoes are on the playground equipment. People chat in the sanctuary, others are having coffee in the cafe, and still more are standing in the lobby area. Often, people are kinda pushed out the door a couple of hours later.

To me, that is a church family. I feel very blessed. I know there are other church families like that around as well. I hope all of those who may have gone through bad experiences with churches realize that you can't let that get to you. You have to trust God and know that He will be faithful to set you in the right fellowship.

Believers also need to realize that *we* are a family. In Christ, we've become mothers, brothers, sisters, and so on. A lot of people are hurting and we've got to reach out. I had the most wonderful experience on Saturday at Walmart. The cashier checking me out was positively glowing with the love of Jesus. She joked with the people in front of me and had us all chatting like we were long-lost friends. As I was checking out she was encouraging me with my boys, telling me about her older boys and drawing in the couple behind me.. and it was like water in a desert. I'd just come from a women's Bible study and felt like God just wrapped me in His arms and gave me another big squeeze.

At one time, I was *so* lonely here in SC. I prayed that God would bring me just one friend. People came into my life that were folks I couldn't imagine sticking with, but I tried. Through one of those chance meetings, I met the friend that has been with me since James (now 8) was in the womb. After meeting her, I slowly met others, and my circle of friends is now very rich. But, I haven't forgotten that time of being the newcomer.. no family, no friends, and very limited resources (we had one vehicle at that time and a tiny townhouse). That is one reason I think I find organizing the city-wide homeschool email group, park day, and mom's dinner to be so rewarding. If I can help just one mom who is feeling like I did, that's fantastic.

We really do need each other. We have to remember that even when we get comfortable with our circle of friends, or even with our church family, that there is still room for more. For the believer our eternal life has already started. We'll be with these people forever. It's a good time to start forming those friendships now!


Picture.. The baby in the picture is Noah. He's the only blue-eyed boy we have. :)

2 comments:

Paula said...

I just read this post and it made me smile. The last part about being new and building friendships--that's where I'm at right now. We recently moved, and I'm slowly getting to know some people, but building real friendships takes time. I do greatly appreciate the fellowship at church.
Blessings,
Paula
http://a-large-room.blogspot.com/

Cynthia said...

Sounds like you attend a wonderfully caring church! Thanks for sharing how the day goes. I should blog one of our Sundays sometime.