Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Children or cars?

I read this article today and feel others might enjoy reading it as well.

A few snippets..


A funny thing happened to me the other day when my wife and I had, thank God, another baby (a boy). Many of my friends didn't seem all that happy for me. Sure, they went through the motions of smiles and congratulations. But it was evident that many thought me insane. Why would a young man and his wife ruin their lives with eight children?

I don't mind that the world doesn't really love babies, just that it pretends to. It's time we got honest about our priorities. Most people get a new car every two or three years, but one or two babies through the life of their marriage is plenty. You can get drunk on an airplane, laugh hysterically with your mates, and still not really anger people. But if you dare bring a crying baby on board you will be given malicious looks as if the little thing is a package that ticks. If you walk your dog along the street, people will stop you to tell you how cute he is. If you walk down the street with a baby, you might find a woman or two who coos, but for the most part, you'll be utterly ignored.

By just looking at my children, I become more innocent. By loving them, I become more noble. By spending my money on them rather than myself, I find transcendence. And by being a father and liberating all of the love in my heart, my spirit soars free. I work hard to support a large family and I give up no pleasures in doing so because my children are my foremost pleasure.

Click on the link above to read the whole article.

Last night I was blessed, SO blessed, to be with gracious ladies who love babies. Naomi goes with me to Mom's Night Out. Instead of the moms being upset about a baby visiting, they coo.. they babble.. and they make comments on her cutesy outfits. Even better? They celebrate being moms themselves by sharing baby stories. Some even asked for prayer for MORE babies. On the way home I simply praised God for his encouragement. For allowing me to be filled by these ladies who truly love their families and enjoy their children. One mom asked if we were open to more and I answered "most definitely" and I "most definitely" meant it.

While we live in a modest home, continue to go though vehicle struggles, and have started a seperate budget category for "kids sports" we're still so blessed and I "most definitely" wish to be blessed more by the Lord. Even if He doesn't give us another child, I feel we at least have the security of knowing we're not 'missing' anyone.. that He decided our family for us and we can rest secure in that knowledge.

On a lighter note..

Moving a 75 gallon aquarium across a living room floor is THE most exciting thing for kids to witness. Not sure what made it so fascinating, but I had a cheering audience. Thankfully the aquarium has a lizard in it, not water. We 'flylady'd' the living room and rearranged the furniture. I can't wait to paint that room once we get home. We're also looking at furniture from www.homereserve.com because we need to have 2 couches in there.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

We used to move our fairly large sized aquarium when it was full of water. Definitely NOT an easy task. We put it on a big bath towel and pulled it! Just a tip incase you have to do it again sometime.

Lisa in Jax said...

What a great post! You have a wonderful group of women. I'm sure that it's a real blessing to be supported in this way. Love your photos!