Sunday, July 8, 2007

Sunday Night Stuff

I have read so many terrific blogs lately. It is inspiring to read about other families and how they function. I'm also very encouraged by ladies who are willing to show warts and all on their blogs. I remember when I first considered homeschooling that I thought homeschoolers had it 'so together'. I'd never met a homeschooling family and had really only discussed it with my close friend here in SC. I had the oldest child between us so I couldn't really follow in her footsteps.

During that time I was part of a Friday playgroup that met at the zoo. We would see a LOT of school field trips and, quite honestly, some were depressing. We witnessed teachers yelling at students, children crying because they wanted to stay longer at an exhibit, and other children going hungry during lunch because they forgot their lunch money (fast food place at the zoo). We also witnessed children who were obvious outcasts from the cliques that sat alone during lunch and walked alone while touring the zoo. It really made an impression upon me as Charli was due to start school the next year. Due to her Oct bday we had some extra breathing room before she'd begin. One Friday our other friends left early, so the four of us (Charli 4, Bethany 2, & baby James!) toured the zoo ourselves. While waiting on the tram we met up with another mom with two children. On a whim I asked if she was a homeschooler and she filled me in on All Things Homeschool in my area. What a blessing!!

I encourage all ladies to have patience to answer the 'newbies' whether it be about homeschooling, homemaking, or even the Christian faith. That mom, on that day, changed my life for the better and impacted my family for generations to come. It was through deciding to homeschool that I joined a certain homeschooling yahoogroup. It was through that yahoogroup that I was SO challenged in my ideas of Christianity. It was through rethinking this 'Christian stuff' that my husband and I resumed going to church.. and my husband accepted Christ. It was through this that God really started working on us and we started truly seeking him. We'd never known anything but the typical "one hour on sunday" version of Churchianity vs. Christianity. Eventually we ended up with our 4th child and second son. It was through that pregnancy that God reached into Jim's heart and led us to being quiverful. And due to Joseph (which means "Jehovah Increases" a name we *knew* we'd use b/c its my Dad's name).. due to Joseph's pregnancy we were then blessed with Noah, our precious guy we couldn't do without.. and Naomi our sweet pink bundle that everyone adores. Numerous people encouraged us to be 'done' after James was born since we 'had our boy'. It takes my breath away to realize if we'd done that we would not have Joseph, Noah, or Naomi. That is so unbelievably sad to me! I can't even think about it that long or else it makes me cry.

Looking back I can so clearly see God's awesome hand in our lives. I'm so thankful and grateful that He led us here.

Okay, enough of that. Here is a rundown of our current events with children.

Charlotte: Our family is going to be shocked when they see her next. She's turned into such a delightful young lady and seems so tall for an 11yo! She has a sweet demeanor and is a wonderful helper. She's joined a girl's group (www.blessedmaidens.com) that is for encouraging young Christian women and has met some very nice friends. Its fun to hear her tell me about this girl who is the oldest of 8.. or another girl that has a mom expecting soon. The girls also share how they help out at home and take pride in being responsible young ladies.

Bethany: She is no longer the very quiet one. She is definitely Queen Bee with the boys and they love it! She and James have caught on to inventing some fun games together. They have a "Shoomers" (sp?) club and they're figuring out ways to spend their club money (allowance) on interesting things. Today she was writing down scripture she wants to use as an online signature. Plus, she and Charli both helped me make a nice quilt square (will share more on that tomorrow). Her major interest is softball and she's counting down the days.. Plus she's helping James learn more about catching/throwing as he attempts baseball this year.

James: Oh, my .. he's turned into all boy! I love it! I may have blogged this once, but don't remember. lol. (skip if you've heard it). The other day he came to me while I was washing dishes and said "When I think about people squeezing lizards it makes me sad". I concurred, it'd make me sad too, and then asked why he was thinking that? He has two anole (green lizards) in his room and he takes excellent care of them. He said he wasn't sure, it was just on his mind. A while later he comes back and tells me he knows something "ooey" and that I won't want to hear it. The children *know* I have major issues with dead, dying, or gross things. They know to NOT tell me and to tell Daddy only. Well, I figured if it was truly bad I should listen to him because he seemed kinda sad about it. He tells me his lizard is growing a new tail, the other one is almost off. (At this point I'm guessing earlier he tried to catch the lizard and the tail released). I kinda shrugged and said "lizards will do that.." (relieved that was the story!) and away he went again. A few minutes later Charlotte lets out a SCREAM! James had brought the tail out, wiggling, and held it a few inches from her face we all yelled at him to take it BACK to his room. Later, Daddy made him throw it away. hehe. In the morning he races out to the backyard to catch crickets for his lizards.

Joseph: He's turned into a nose crinkly, eyes twinkling, mischievous little boy. He loves to tell nutty stories just to hear you laugh. The other day he recited a poem to me and I was amazed! His major quirk right now? He's scared to bits of Cliff Hanger. (Pictures of Cliff Hanger here) He's afraid the cartoon guy is going to fall off the cartoon cliff to his death. We've tried and tried to explain that Cliff Hanger is not real. He cannot die. And no amount of SCREAMING through the house "Cliff Hanger is on!!!!" is going to help matters. He won't even turn on the television during the day for fear that it will be Cliff Hanger. Now the interesting thing is when he was younger he was terrified of the Lions on the show. He'd actually shake with fear if he saw them. So we nixed the show. One day he saw it and decided he liked it. Then he caught site of Cliff and that was the end.

Noah: He is finally starting to talk more. He's definitely a late talker like Bethany. Generally we catch the "mood" of what he is saying and figure it out. For instance, we were checking the rash on his hand a lot. (I'll need to post updated pics, it is still healing). He got to the point where he'd turn his hand over, look at you very pointedly and say "Mess! No push!". Basically meaning there was something off on his hand and don't touch it. "Mess!" is one of his favorite things to say. He uses his best 2yo disgusted tone to do so. He is trying to string together sentences and I figure within the next 6 months he will have made major strides. He still says "no" to everything. James says we should have named him Yes-ah instead of No-ah ;-)

Naomi: She's being called NaeNae by her sisters, we're trying to cut it out. lol. Wow has she spoiled us rotten. She's now nursing at 8:30pm and asleep by 9pm for the night. She's taking looooong snoozes during the day and is a great baby. We haven't been able to do much tummy or floor time with her, we need to start doing so and train the littlest boys to be careful. Whenever she's on the floor she ends up with them just inches away. Joseph is absolutely fascinated by Naomi and loves every thing she does. Because Joseph is fascinated it means his shadow, Noah, is also fascinated and must be right there too. They haven't figured out their noses don't need to touch hers for her to see them. She probably thinks she lives in a land of giant boy heads!

Whew, that's the update. I won't update the pets ;-) Although if Bethany's cat, Peppermint, bites my ankle one more time I am selling him. He doesn't bite other people.. just me.. and only when I'm in the kitchen near the stove. It has made making dinner an interesting experience!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

It IS fun to read everyone's blogs... I'm thrilled to get to know all of the SHSers in a more personal way via blogs!